Hello! I am James A. (Jim) Shipp, 58, of rural Princeton. I am currently Commander of the Bureau County Sheriff's Office, and am seeking election to the Office of Bureau County Sheriff in 2014 on the Republican Party ticket.
I am married to the former Deb Anderson of Ohio, IL. and have three children, Jamie (Shane) Pennington, Adam (Holly), and Sarah. I also have three grandchildren, Kelsey, Kailey and Matthew.
I was born and raised in Bureau County and attended Hall High School. I began my public service at the age of 19 for 10/33 and Bureau ambulance service. I began my law enforcement career in 1977 for the Village of Bureau and graduated from the University of Illinois Police Training Institute in 1980. I was hired at the Bureau County Sheriff's Department in 1981 by former Sheriff Mel Hult. In addition to working full-time at the Bureau County Sheriff's Office in every capacity, I have worked as a part-time patrolman for the Village of Bureau (still holding the title of Chief of Police), 15 years for the Village of DePue (with the rank of Sergeant), and currently am in my 7th year as patrolman for the Village of Tiskilwa. I was elected President of Lodge 222 Fraternal Order of Police, a position I held for 11 years. I qualified and am a graduate (class of 2005) of the "Police Executive Role in the 21st Century" through the Illinois Law Enforcement Training and Standards Board Executive institute. I have over 2200 hours of ongoing law enforcement training through the Illinois Law Enforcement Training and Standards Board, Police Training Institute, Federal Bureau of Investigation, Drug Enforcement Agency, Federal Emergency Management Agency, Illinois Emergency Management Agency and other organizations. I have also received several commendations from the Department and numerous individuals, agencies and organizations.
During my career, I have also responded to and been actively involved with the Utica tornado, Euclid chemical fire in Sheffield, Tiskilwa train derailment, Washington tornado and the recent snow-bound Amtrak trains, to name a few. I have just completed my 18th year working security for St. Margaret's Hospital and am the Operations Director in central Illinois for Illinois Security Services. I am also a Private Investigator for Petentler Investigations.
I am currently involved in the following organizations/ agencies:
• Past President and current member of the Illinois Valley Association of Chiefs of Police
• State certified with IEMA- All Hazard Type III COML
• State certified First Responder
• Coordinator for Bureau/Putnam County Crime Stoppers
• Chair of the Bureau County Tactical Interoperable Communications Plan (TICP)
• Manage the Bureau County Homeland Security Mobile Communication Center
• Member of the Bureau/Putnam County Local Emergency Planning Committee
• Member of the Illinois Valley Crime Prevention Commission
• Member of Bureau/Putnam County Emergency Preparedness Community Partners
• Member of the Bureau County Emergency Services and Disaster Agency
• Representative on the Bureau Emergency Communications Board (BuEComm)
• A 31-year member of the Bureau Fire Department, currently holding the title of Captain
I have dedicated my life to public service for 39 years and am ready to serve the citizens of
Bureau County as their Sheriff.
Officer Jim Shipp can usually be found driving this outfitted Durango while in county service.
Copyright Citizens For James A. Shipp For Sheriff, all rights reserved 2014